Saturday, February 12, 2011

My Achy Breaky Heart: Encouraging college girls on V-day.

So, I help out with my church's college ministry. This requires that I meet with all kinds of college girls from all walks of life - who are all trying to figure it out. It's the best thing in the whole world. I couldn't imagine being or doing anything else. However, with V-day around the corner, I can't even begin to tell you how many of my recent meetings have consisted of hearing about dirty boys and immature boys and boys who want to play those dumb games that almost all young guys feel a necessity to play. But what's more? My heart breaks for those girls that get hurt by those kinds of boys because they are looking to find their soul mate. I'm not saying it isn't possible, but I am saying that there's so much more to college than waiting around for Mr. Right.

I was sitting in church tonight (I go to a Staurday night service - judge me. lol), and I couldn't help but thinking about an 18 year old girl who wants so desperately just to be married. I gave my usual speech of "God's man and God's timing is what you want" - but I could still see her broken heart over it. It's just such a huge part of her thought-life, and it isn't even yet a reality for her...

I've never been one to really be boy crazy or worry about being single for the rest of my life. I've always been pretty content about my current stance. It hasn't been until recently that God has granted me a deep down solid peace and joy that His timing and his glory is what I want more than life. I'm certain that most of the people that read this are probably married (most of my friends are anyway), and of those that are married, they can easily attest to the fact that marriage is no where near easy. At points it's hard. In other words, while it's a HUGELY WONDERFUL blessing, it's not all about the white picket fence and 2.7 kids and a Volvo.

So I've been praying so hard that all single girls everywhere would see marriage in a new light. That their heart would work toward calling God their beloved. I want so desperately for them to know that deep down confidence that the essence of marriage is God bring two people together to better glorify him. I am single currently, and I know that God has not yet (if it's even in his plan) brought a good man into my life because I am more glorifying to him just as I am. To be frank, I love it! I get to have my God all to myself and I get to have an undivided heart. It's amazing that I get to take all that God is teaching me during this time into my future marriage (if that's where God has me go). I want every girl to pursue God and know him and love him before all else because He first loved us!! It's a wonderful thought... and I'm grateful to know it. :)

Anyhow, here's my question to anyone who may read this: Wherever your place in life - single, married, dating - what is your pearl of wisdom? If you had the chance, what would you feel so important to tell every girl in the world about relationships?  ... I'm excited to learn new things myself! :)

<3, kt

3 comments:

  1. I've always heard "the safest place to be is in the center of God's will".

    And I think God's word speaks it best (naturally!), so I'll let Him do the talking here...

    Isaiah 55:9
    "For just as the heavens are higher than the earth, so my ways are higher than your ways and my thoughts higher than your thoughts." (NLT)

    What a great post. It's kind of like "Deep Thoughts with Jack Handy"...except it actually is. Lol.

    P.S. Did you BUY any cantaloupe, or just pass it! Haha! Loved your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.P.S. Marriage ain't always flowers and sunshine...but yes, it's wonderful, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol I had cantaloupe in my fridge already - but I wanted to... I suddenly felt an insane urge for the need of cantaloupe! lol

    And I LOOOOVE Isaiah - hands down one of my favs! :)

    ReplyDelete